Monday, April 13, 2009

Condominium Living


What’s in a name?

In real estate, one has got to know the developer. Topmost in my mind is Ayala whose prime residential development near a place I stayed was a dream location. Out there, I could have my grandsons study at a Jesuit-run school or other, such as a Benedictine institution located on Manotok Street, named after a family who owns an exclusive 35-hectare property there. This vast property has only sixteen houses built for family members. They’ve stopped building at sixteen for some reason.

Speaking of Ayala and that development I dreamt of one day owning a piece, I decided it was too pricey but who knows? I might get lucky and try my spell on the Manotok clan to reward me for raising my kids who are undeniably descendants of one of their own. Then I get a prime location for a home. For now though, I’m thinking condominium living is most practical.

Along Ortigas Avenue Extension is a development being undertaken by Filinvest. One Oasis promises to be a cluster of no higher than 5 storey buildings comprised of flats or studios, one bedroom units, up to two bedrooms. By now, many of the studios have been turned over to owners at a price of Php1.7 million a unit of about 25 square meters. Neat and no frills. Units that have balconies have a view of the gardens that’ll be put up and yes, there’ll be a swimming pool too – an imperative during the scorching summer days.

Somewhere in Mandaluyong also being developed, is an “urban oasis.” Tivoli Garden Residences by DMCI offers up to 3 bedroom units in towers ranging from 24-28 levels. What makes this development unique is the sky patios on every five floors, providing residents with direct access to lush Asian tropical gardens. I could think of one purpose for which the sky patios are going to be a hit. Try smoking lounges!

Up on the 10th floor of Tivoli Garden Residences, I spotted Makati City Hall just across the Pasig River. Somehow, the Pasig River holds an enchantment for me especially in the evening. This is the view I get from Cybergate 2 where I now spend most of my evenings working with a call center. A two bedroom unit measuring 51 square meters at Tivoli Garden Residences sells for slightly over Php3.0 million. Not bad at all.

I’d go for oases, meaning, there’s greenery in an otherwise arid area. It’s a come-on, even as it’s landscaping galore to camouflage urban dwelling in the thick of Metro Manila. Filinvent and DMCI, without coaching from one another, may have planned and positioned these developments to attract prospective buyers away from areas where only a street separates one condominium tower from another. Again, maybe I’m claustrophobic… there’s another condominium building now being constructed along Pioneer, across Cybergate 2. You’d hear concrete pouring on certain days, sometimes you can mistake it for a typhoon minus thunder and lightning. Oh well....

No comments: