Wednesday, January 13, 2010

THE REBOUND (no real estate value)

May I begin by saying that I’m not on a rebound, not now, and besides if I ever get a nanny, it’ll be for my grandchildren and I won’t get someone as cute as Aram. Played by Justin Bartha in the movie “The Rebound,” Aram is Jewish and a college graduate who works in a coffee shop when he meets Sandy, played by Catherine Zeta-Jones.

I happened to see the movie last week while waiting for a PT doctor at Clinica Manila in Megamall. Although I remember having invited a classmate who said she could relate to the concept of cougar relationship, my choice to see this movie was well decided against “Avatar.”

Sandy moves to New York with two kids in tow, fresh out of a divorce, still reeling from visions of her ex-husband’s indiscretions, apparently, one too many. Slowly she puts her life back in order, finds Aram to baby sit her daughter and son, which works rather well till things got mushy in quite a comical way. Sandy’s son catches her and Aram doing it on the couch and that kicks off Aram’s sleeping over on a more regular basis.

What struck me in this movie, is not the plot, not even the characters. I couldn’t get my mind off Catherine’s physique -- her well defined muscles on the right spots, running to her back. In reel (at least in this movie) and real life, Catherine does the gym, she can’t do otherwise not with those muscles. She gets invited to join yoga and yeah, I can do that too, watch the movie if you want to know what I mean!

Aram and Sandy become a pair both at home and in their respective family circles. She gets pregnant and as they choose a name for the baby, Aram mentions “Iora,” a Jewish name for a girl. By golly, this movie was meant for me… a few days before I saw the movie, I got a nice evening dress from a boutique at Megamall called “Iora.”

I guess this is the climax of the movie, Sandy gets pregnant… ooops, sorry to disappoint you. She loses the baby, breaks off with Aram, climbs the corporate ladder to become the anchor in a TV news program while Aram travels the world doing what best he loves -- being with children. Five years fast forward, Sandy’s daughter graduates from school --- she looks different and if I may add, ugly --- and they by chance all meet at a restaurant. Aram now has a son and his mother, a doting granny, join Sandy and her children celebrate graduation. Their flame still aglow, Sandy and Aram hold hands under the table. Now you make up your mind at this point.

Cougar relationship in not so definite terms is a relationship between a much older woman with a very young man. Doesn’t say how many years, just that. Someone wrote about it in her column, first time I learned about it. My lawyer-friend added, it’s the woman who does the chasing. I beg your pardon!!!

No comments: