Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Sundries: Malling

Several times I had been asked to gather some friends at Gateway Mall in Cubao, either as a meet up place or to shop. I must admit the food court was a pretty convenient excuse to indulge myself with Razon’s halo-halo, Dairy Queen’s blizzard, and Taco Bell’s churros.

In the past month, however, Gateway Mall has lost its luster to me at least, after a salisi incident that happened. Quite succinctly, I am now a clueless, non-identifiable person, save for my passport and my dentist’s records. Quite disappointing too, the Mall’s security force was of no help, with a negative output to my request for a CCTV search. Who knows how many calls I missed, how many text messages, and how many inspirational messages I would have read if I hadn’t lost my cellphone. Who knows if the offer to be a talent came to pass…

I should feel lucky, nonetheless, for having a measly six hundred pesos in my Coach (urggh!) wallet. I should feel lucky for having only brand name cosmetics in a purse, an heirloom coral bracelet, and a cellphone containing only about a hundred names and their contact information, among others, all in a black “have seen the light of day” kind of bag. I should not complain, albeit, lose sleep over it, compared to someone who reportedly lost thirty thousand pesos withdrawn from her ATM to a budol-budol gang in Trinoma.

Speaking of Trinoma, my daughter and I went to see “Nights in Rodanthe” with Richard Gere playing a doctor whose patient he loses while on the operating table. Leading lady and his paramour, Diane Lane, is an artist who takes Richard to see her art collection in her basement (not sure, because I was sleepy) and obviously flirts with him. They have a romantic episode at the height of a storm (ieeeww). My daughter and I entered the cinema late and we left the movie unfinished. I like Richard Gere for other movies he starred in, but not this one. I love Diane Lane for her role in the movie “Unfaithful” where she and her husband successfully cover up the homicide of Diane’s young lover. I wonder if “Nights in Rodanthe” is making money, the cinema at Trinoma was almost empty.

As Christmas is in the air, my suggestion to everyone is to shop early, shop wisely and keep everything toned down, your celebration need not be pompous. AND watch your wallets, nothing wrong with spending in cash.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah. "NIGHTS IN RODANTHE" has done VERY well at the box office. It's a sizable hit.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=nightsinrodanthe.htm