Sunday, August 24, 2008

CONDOTEL, explained

During my trips to Singapore in the 90s, I was introduced to the concepts of boutique hotel and condominium hotel (now known as condotel). I was awed by such concepts but never really understood what each meant, till now.

I think, and I can be challenged here, that a boutique hotel is a small one as the name implies. One example comes to mind and this is the boutique hotel owned by the Zobels in San Francisco close to El Cortez. My brother and I took a look at the boutique hotel one time but there was no way I could afford the rates then.

A condominium hotel by nomenclature is a combination of a condominium and a hotel, thus condotel. The concept has caught on and if I could engage you regarding its benefits, to begin – it’s an investment cum a vacation home at the same time. Depending on what’s being offered by the condotel, which could range from accommodations at any time of the year for you and your family, you as OWNER, will have YOUR place without the hassles of maintenance. And here’s what, your investment pays off because you can arrange with the hotel management to have your unit rented out when you’re not using it. You only need to agree with the hotel management to split evenly.

I have been working for a while with the developer of Calicoan Island Resort and the condotel concept has not just caught on. It’s growing on me. Take a look at what Calicoan Island Resort promises to be in two to three years…. Boracay may be the next best thing after this. Check out Calicoan’s website, www.cirdc.com.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Interesting, Kit. I just think you should also write about things beyond the "borders" of real estate. :-) Cheers! - JoeyB