Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Condo Living, on my fourth



Today (as I write)  is the second day of what is called “ber” months and that to me holds fond memories at the same time, a threat!  I cannot begin to describe the traffic and the increase in crime rates in Metro Manila.  So people, I begin this report card, celebrating my third going onto fourth in this humble abode, eating humble pie.

  • I saw two roaches or are they one and the same, but I know I swat the first one.  Now I’m wondering if I have been  their gracious host or they’re sneaking and crawling through deep, deep crevices of the building. Boy, the big ones aren’t able to run as fast as the tiny ones. 

  • The lizard I saw recently is smaller that the first one I ever saw when I just moved in -- did he lose weight, regenerate into or reincarnate or go to Vicky Belo for liposuction?

  • Now that work is back to normal, that is, morning to around five in the afternoon, does that mean I am no longer a zombie? 

  • I finally met and chatted with the father of Nicole, that cute girl who raided my refrigerator, remember?  They’ve put a screen door so they can have more air ventilation in their unit.  And all I have  is a lost key for the front door…

  • I am changing my shower curtain in a day or two, from pink to white with a little bit of design.  I love changes, it gives a person opportunities to look into far yonder of the horizon, where a pot of gold awaits depending on big “A” for effort.

  • Since the supermarkets are now using less plastic, I have collected more than enough recyclable shopping bags than I actually need, which is absurd because I don’t ever remember WHEN these  supermarkets are prohibiting.  I can recall twice that I shopped in Megamall for my groceries (baggers won’t double the brown bags), when I alighted from the cab, out fell my stuff.  Not very funny!

  • I find myself less and less able to write because I do Facebook? Serves me right for having many friends.  In the office, I can only do Facebook during lunch, and with a quick nap after I’m fresh raring to do stuff again.  Work is learning a new software every other month and yet I’m not an engineer nor am I a programmer.  Lost in the translation in this IT industry but enjoying tremendously. 

  • Cooking is fun, now I have caraway seeds to try my hand in making sauerkraut.  It has to be fermented for a number of days, not cooked in vinegar duh!  My son is already salivating…

  • I have in mind to move to a bigger space, a one- or two-bedroom unit on any lower floor.  My Chinese (not Koreans) neighbrs, occupying three units on the same floor had a terrible fight one night, banging doors and shouting!  Before I could get back to sleep I wanted to know if security has tackled the issue.  Were they fighting about the Scarborough Shoal too?

  • I have learned some power saving ways, i.e., unplug the refrigerator either at night or when I’m off to work, either way it saved me another 400 pesos on my bill. 

  • Skycable still has lousy service, you call their new number 381-0000 and listen to the litany of places that have signal problems.  That’s just for starters… then you get transferred to technical or billing and you wait again for another three minutes or so.  Oh but wait, you can email them and for each email, 4 pesos is donated to the Knowledge Channel. What this scheme is in reality a payback to you for waiting, it makes you feel good but no good.  You would have wanted to swack a customer service representative instead.

Have really had it….  This morning I asked my broker what it would take to move to another unit.  I’m aiming for a November transfer… up or down is no problem.  I need the space and I need it now.    


No comments: